Tuesday 12 January 2010

Eric Rohmer (1920-2010)


It was with some sadness that I heard, via a Facebook buddy, about the death of Eric Rohmer. (BBC TV News obviously don’t consider this death to be a story worth covering; now, if it had been Kerry Katona …) I can’t really claim that Rohmer was a favourite director of mine - I found a great deal of his work staid and banal - but there’s no denying that, for many, he was among the greatest of cinema auteurs. (Remember that brilliant little debate about the merits of his movies in I’ve Loved You So Long [2008]?) A few of his films - The Green Ray, A Summer Tale, An Autumn Tale, The Lady and the Duke, Triple Agent - I recall with much affection. So R.I.P, E.R.

3 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with his work, Will have a read up.
    As for being celebrated in the news, just look at how Jennifer Jones' death was covered...ie NOT!
    very sad

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there's one thing that pisses me off about Britain (and there are quite a number of things!), it's the elevation/celebration of "celebrity" non-entities over people who really have contributed something culturally and sustained long careers. Do not get me started on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. put the big brother contestant down....
    walk away from the contestant......

    ReplyDelete