Thursday 29 July 2010

Reviews @ PopMatters: Hadestown and Wildwood



Over at PopMatters are my short reviews of Anais Mitchell's Hadestown and Chatham County Line's Wildwood, two of my favourite albums of the year so far. If you haven't heard them yet, go get 'em! The celestial "Alone in New York" from the Chatham chaps and ""Way Down Hadestown" (sung by Mitchell, Ben Knox Miller, Justin Vernon and Ani DiFranco) can be heard below.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/127886-anais-mitchell-hadestown/
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/128098-chatham-county-line-wildwood/








2 comments:

  1. Love your review of Chatham County Line's Wildwood, Alex. I'm still very much under the spell of that album, especially "Alone in New York" and "Crop Comes In," which are both totally sublime, as you rightly pointed out. "Blue Jay Way" and the title track are also terrific. The more I listen to the songs, the more Dave Wilson's vocals remind me, authentically, of a young Bob Dylan. Their live show at Club Passim a couple of weekends ago was fantastic, so I look forward to hearing what you think of their concert in London when you see them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jason. Yes, it's a wonderful album - I really hope that it gets the recognition it deserves.

    Check out HADESTOWN too; I'm sure you'd love it.

    ReplyDelete