Saturday 7 April 2012

Last 10 Things Seen in the Theatre Meme #5





Time to take stock via that ol' meme.

List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:


1. Filumena (Almeida)
2. The Duchess of Malfi Old Vic)
3. The Taming of the Shrew (RSC, Richmond)
4. Sweeney Todd (Adelphi)
5. The Lady From the Sea (Rose, Kingston)
6. Play House/Definitely the Bahamas (Orange Tree Theatre)
7. Hay Fever (Noel Coward Theatre)
8. The King’s Speech (Richmond)
9. Star Quality (Richmond)
10. Long Day’s Journey Into Night (Richmond)


Who was the best performer in number one (Filumena)?
I enjoyed both Clive Wood’s and Samantha Spiro’s performances, and it was a pleasure to see Sheila Reid on stage again. (Despite my slight disappointment that she wasn’t, as in Benidorm, in a mobility scooter and telling people to “frig off.”)


Why did you go to see number two (The Duchess of Malfi)?
To see The Best, primarily. Although about halfway through I remembered: “Oh yeah. I really like this play.”


Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The Taming of the Shrew) that you liked?
For some reason I like: “To me she’s married, not unto my clothes.”


What would you give number four (Sweeney Todd) out of 10?
8.


Was there someone hot in number five (The Lady From the Sea)?
Let’s just say that when certain Redgraves and Richardsons speak, it does things to me.


What was number six (Play House/Definitely the Bahamas) about?
Topless handstands and cleaning a mucky fridge. Coupledom, in other words. (Oh, and “budgie-smugglers” (@ShentonStage).)


Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Hay Fever)?
Unlike a lot of people, I enjoyed all of the actors in this. Top marks to Jeremy Northam, though. And to Freddie Fox for some seriously good lounging.


What was your favourite bit in number eight (The King’s Speech)?
Quoth Victoria Wood: “There was a good bit where it all sort of stopped and I had an ice cream.”


Would you see number nine (Star Quality) again?
I quite liked it, but once was enough.


What was the worst thing about number ten (Long Day’s Journey into Night)?
A few first-performance issues but nothing major, really. It’s a play that’s very dear to me, and a really strong production, so what’s not to like?


Which was best?
Long Day’s Journey Into Night and The Lady From The Sea. And I enjoyed Hay Fever and Definitely the Bahamas a good deal.


Which was worst?
Well, The King’s Speech was perhaps even duller than I’d imagined. And I really disliked this production of The Taming of the Shrew by the end.


Did any make you cry?
The Lady From The Sea and Long Day’s Journey into Night.


Did any make you laugh?
Actually, I think all of this set did, at some point.


Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Consumptive would-be poets rule! So Edmund in Long Day’s Journey into Night will do fine.


Which one did you have the best seats for?
Filumena and Play House/Definitely the Bahamas. And I do have a strange soft spot for the pit cushion area at the Rose. (Especially when sitting next to @3rdspearcarrier and @mzendle, of course.)
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious that it's only when you get half way through Duchess of Malfi that you remember how much you like the play!

    ReplyDelete